Sunday, March 23, 2014

Day 23: Chocolate Magma/Lava Cake

While the rest of my dinner today was fairly uneventful, dessert was a wonderful surprise. Tonight was chocolate lava cake, a chocolate cake with a melted chocolate center. When you cut into the cake, the liquefied chocolate seeps out into a gooey but delicious treat. Being my nerdy self, I remembered something that I once say regarding chocolate lava cake.

^Doesn't that make so much sense??? :D

The cake was warm and fresh-out-of-the-oven. The outside was slightly crunchy from the baking, but the inside was soft and dense. Warm chocolate oozed out of the middle and into a little puddle of sweet goodness. A dollop of coffee ice cream topped it all off, though the ice cream melted before I was halfway through the cake. :P The small amount of bitterness from the ice cream cut through the sweetness of the cake nicely, so it didn't feel like too much sugar at once. Naturally, the cake itself wasn't excessively sweet either, thanks to dark chocolate. The result was a very satisfying end to a wonderful meal.
I still remember the first time I had molten lava cake. I was in Washington D.C., at a restaurant whose name is slipping my mind right now... Anyway, when dessert came around, the waiter arrived with what he called "a special treat". From then on, I fell in love with chocolate lava cake, enjoying every bite of light cake, chocolate-y liquid, and freezing ice cream. Below, I've linked a recipe to chocolate lava cake. Enjoy! 
So the night ends now, with me writing yet another blog post. Until next time, this is Rachel Ma, and, in the words of Alton Brown, I bid you good eating.

Song I'm humming tonight: Vanilla Twilight by Owl City 

No comments:

Post a Comment